Setup Open edX SAAS based with Tutor

We lunched Open edX using tutor k8s on our Kubernetes cluster and our purpose is to run it as a SAAS service.
So we run a common MySQL, MongoDB and Elasticsearch cluster for this setup and connect it using tutor config.
But we have some problems in this setup.
1- for Elasticsearch we can configure host, port and schema but there is not any specific variable in tutor config to use for index name for different organizations (instances).
2- for MongoDB we can configure host, port, db name and authentication parameters but there is another database named cs_comments_service used by forum and it is hard coded in source that i do not know how can i change it for different organizations (instances).
3- For adding new theme we should rebuild open edX image every time and it takes so much minutes.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue.

As far as I know, the index name is hardcoded upstream in edx-platform. See for example the search_indexes.py or the courseware_index.py modules:
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/014a54c7b7017260f1dadeee2af7756665e4457a/lms/djangoapps/teams/search_indexes.py#L40
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/014a54c7b7017260f1dadeee2af7756665e4457a/cms/djangoapps/contentstore/courseware_index.py#L343

So I’m afraid this is not an issue with Tutor, but with edx-platform itself. If you’d like to address this, the most efficient way to get your changes upstream is to open a pull request on edx-platform with your proposed changes. If you need a developer to do this for you, you can hire one in the Marketplace category.

I answered this question here: Tutor k8s deployment mongodb password - #4 by regis

Yes, I am aware of that. Unfortunately, there is very little we can do about it, as asset compilation and collection is a costly process in terms of CPU.

Just to clarify, you are talking about making changes in production, right? When developing a new theme the feedback loop should be much faster.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.