Hello world! It’s that time of year again, when a new Open edX release is being created. Koa is planned for December 9th and we are hard at work in the Build/Test/Release working group to make that happen.
As far as I am concerned, releasing means upgrading all Tutor components to work with the new release. This post is for tracking our progress, just like we did for the previous Juniper release.
Tutor upgrade progress
- tutor-openedx : (updated 2020-11-16T23:00:00Z) platform is running. New issues might arise as the other plugins are upgraded.
- tutor-discovery (updated 2020-11-25T23:00:00Z)
- tutor-ecommerce (updated 2020-11-25T23:00:00Z)
- tutor-minio (updated 2020-11-18T23:00:00Z)
- tutor-notes (updated 2020-11-17T23:00:00Z)
- tutor-xqueue (updated 2020-12-06T23:00:00Z)
- Micro frontends (MFE): this is a new component that will have to be developed for Tutor, as the profile, gradebook and account MFE are now part of Open edX.
All testing will happen in a “koa” branch in the listed repositories. You can check out our progress there (e.g: the koa branch on the core tutor repo), but you should beware that these branches will be push-forced.
What does it mean for existing Tutor users?
As with Juniper, we expect that existing Tutor users will be able to upgrade simply by running
tutor local quickstart. Backups are strongly recommended. If you are not ready to upgrade to Koa, we recommend subscribing to a Tutor LTS license.
Learn more about Koa
Here are a few links to learn more about the upcoming Koa release:
- The Koa page: Confluence
- The Build/Test/Release working group board where we track issues: Agile Board - JIRA
- The BTR working group meetup page, where bi-monthly meetups are announced: https://discuss.openedx.org/t/build-test-release-working-group-bi-monthly-meetup/2789
- My upgrade notes, which I use as a brain dump as I upgrade each app: Upgrading Tutor for Koa - #7 by regis - Build-Test-Release - Open edX discussions