Tutor dev quickstart

While running tutor dev quickstart it is showing error

useradd: UID 0 is not unique
The command ‘/bin/sh -c useradd --home-dir /openedx --create-home --shell /bin/bash --uid ${APP_USER_ID} app’ returned a non-zero code: 4
ERROR: Service ‘lms’ failed to build : Build failed
Error: Command failed with status 1: docker-compose -f /root/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /root/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml -f /root/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.tmp.yml --project-name tutor_dev build lms

I running in local deployment using tutor local quickstart it is working fine.

Help me to figure out it

You should not run Tutor as root.

You are probably running it as root because you did not configure Docker to run as a non-root user (UID 0 is root).

See Post-installation steps for Linux | Docker Documentation

3 Likes

it is working after not running in the root mode
Now, i am running tutor local quickstart it is showing error

Usage: tutor dev [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...
Try 'tutor dev -h' for help.

Error: No such command 'quickstart'.

When i run tutor dev start it is running when i open http://local.overhang.io:8000 it is showing error

1 Like

Hi @Harshgaur14 ,

You should provide which version of tutor you are running, so the community can help you quicker.

Regarding second issue, it means there was no site in your database. Normally, you run command tutor dev quickstart which will migrate everything and then start docker containers for you.

1 Like

Tutor version 13.2.0 @thinnguyen

@Harshgaur14 ,

How do you install tutor on your machine? If you cloned the repository to your local machine and then install it, it might be modified code changes in tutor/commands/dev.py

Take a look tutor/dev.py at v13.2.0 · overhangio/tutor · GitHub, you can see the command quickstart is available there.

Maybe you try to run command tutor dev -h or tutor dev to see available commands

1 Like

first i have install the tutor 13.2.0 in root (ubuntu 21.10) and tutor local quickstart is working fine.
Now i want to install tutor for development and platform customization
now i exit the root directory
created the python virtual environment in a folder then in folder

tutor dev start is running
tutor dev quickstart is not running

Usage: tutor dev [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...
Try 'tutor dev -h' for help.

Error: No such command 'quickstart'.

Just run command tutor dev or tutor dev -h to see the result @Harshgaur14

So the root cause is source code/binary file of tutor you installed

The simple way to replace tutor dev quickstart by running command:tutor dev init && tutor dev start -d

BTW, I suggest you should uninstall current of tutor then install a new one

1 Like

okay thanks @thinnguyen
please provide me the steps for the installation from the scatch for customizing and development of tutor open edx

@sambapete and @thinnguyen ,
can we customize cms ui web pages using tutor dev start or quickstart
if not, please share source link to customize cms of tutor like course web pages.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.