Server Specifications for more than 150.000 user enrollments

I’ll be happy to chat about this! Would you like to schedule a video call?

2 Likes

Hello, thank you @all very much.

It would be great to arrange a video call, to discuss about different ideas and possibilities.

I would have to inform you, that I’m a front-end developer and not a system administrator.
So let me introduce you, with my colleague Manos @galas the System Administrator of cti.gr,
it would be better if he can be at the video call too, in order to help.

Would you @TimothyJAndrus @cacciaresi @regis be available this week?

*p.s I also had an answer from another forum, so I decided to post it here if it helps.

The main thing you need to know is the average amount of concurrent users in order to be able to properly scale your instance. From the numbers you mentioned (150k enrollments), your instance is not exactly small.

Do you think this infrastructure will be sufficient or will we need to scale up? Do you suggest some other hardware specs?

Considering a vanilla Open edX deployment (not through Tutor), it’s definitively not enough.
Even considering 1% of your enrollments (1.5k/users) to be active at the same time it’s still the upper limit your infrastructure can handle.
The ideal configuration would be to:

Extract the databases from your deployment (MySQL and Mongo) and use managed/easy to scale services (such as AWS RDS and MongoDB Atlas).
Push the file storage to S3 or compatible service.
Deploy Open edX appservers behind a load balancer with autoscaling (which automatically spawns new VMs depending on the server load). Alternatively, use Kubernetes, but there isn’t an edX supported method of doing that currently.

Will this be sufficient for serving a potential 150K enrolled users, or we might experience a system downtime?

You’ll likely suffer downtime, due to the server timing out and not being able to serve the requests in time.

I can’t say much for Tutor, as it uses a custom deployment method, but from a look at the documentation, there’s support for deploying it at a Kubernetes cluster. You’ll need to ask @regis for support and help (as the official maintainer).

1 Like

@TimothyJAndrus Can you organize a meeting?

3 Likes

Please include me :wink:

1 Like

@regis @cacciaresi @stefanidi, I am on Mountain Standard Time, United States of America, which is 8:17am on Mon Sep 21st right now. What are your respective timezones so that we can setup a reasonable time that works for all?

1 Like

I’m in Paris, France.

1 Like

I wish that I lived in Paris, France! So it’s about 8 hours ahead of Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. I would be more than willing to do early morning for me. Whatever works for you my friends!

2 Likes

Hello, we are from Greece, so we are Athens Timezone

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/greece/athens

So we can arrange if you are available early in the morning for you.
19.00 or 20.00 Athens time so about 9.00- 10.00 am for @TimothyJAndrus

Let us know what works better for you.

Thank you

1 Like

You are very thoughtful @stefanidi! 9 or 10am is certainly not early for me. I actually arise at 5am to begin my morning routine and am often online working at 6am and take a mid-day break for a couple of hours, then return to my laptop to work again until 1900-2000 (7-8pm). The earlier the better.

1 Like

Ok, perfect, so is it ok to arrange the meeting for this Wednesday between 5.30, 6.00 am USA time or later if you want. @regis @cacciaresi if it’s ok, for you too, we can organize it.

Can we do 2020-09-22T12:00:00Z?

(full disclaimer: I don’t live in Paris but I’m the Paris timezone :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I can do it 2020-09-22T12:00:00Z

We also can attend the meeting today,if it’s ok for all of you including @TimothyJAndrus

@regis @TimothyJAndrus @cacciaresi Are we still going to meet up today? Will you share your skype ids or a zoom?

Thank you in advance

I’ll be there :slight_smile: Launch Meeting - Zoom

1 Like

I discussed with the administrator of a large Open edX platform: with 500k unique visitors per week, their LMS require 16 GB of RAM with 8 vCPU. Note that this is just for the LMS, as all the stateful services (MySQL, MongoDb, Elasticsearch) are moved to separate servers.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!

@regis I have been so caught up in our next generation platform and I appreciate the communication! Can we discuss getting together and paying for your services to get us support for a time? I need to speak with you asap as I have my mandate from my CIO.

what was the status of the discussion. were you able to load up to 150k userbase ? this is huge and will require a good tech team to manage it.

Hello, not yet :slight_smile:

That was the worst scenario. Because we have other platforms with that amount of registrations from the education community.

At the moment we have about 6.000 registrations. And in the near future in Feb or March, we will have definitely the double amount, so we will investigate our options on scaling-up, etc. We will provide our feedback.

1 Like