Is "tutor images build openedx" not cleaning up after itself?

I ran “tutor images build openedx” once and it succeeded. I ran it again, and it failed due to out of space error on my amazon AMI. I went searching for what’s taking up all my space, and the answer is:

47G /var/lib/docker

88K /var/lib/docker/buildkit
31M /var/lib/docker/containers
106M /var/lib/docker/image
128K /var/lib/docker/network
40G /var/lib/docker/overlay2
16K /var/lib/docker/plugins
4.0K /var/lib/docker/runtimes
4.0K /var/lib/docker/swarm
4.0K /var/lib/docker/tmp
4.0K /var/lib/docker/trust
3.8G /var/lib/docker/volumes

Is this expected? Is there something I need to do to purge unneeded docker images?

Do I (and really everyone) need to run “docker system prune -a” after every “tutor images build openedx”?

I’ve noticed this behaviour as well. After building images 3 or 4 times, I wind up running docker system prune -a just to recover disk space.

It really depends how much disk space you have, and how frequently you re-build Docker images. On the demo server, which has a 158Gb disk, I hardly ever need to prune the Docker images.

OK, but the recommended storage size here is 25GB:
https://docs.tutor.overhang.io/install.html?highlight=tutor%20upgrade%20version

and IIRC (it’s been a while) the amazon AMI started with 20GB (before I upgraded it to 40, before I upgraded it to 60, before I realized I need to prune, and now it seems to be stable around 18GB storage used.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.