How do you edit html file of the edx platform

Hi Folks,
I just wanted to know how do you edit or make changes in the HTML file in the edx platform directory.
For example, if I need to change some heading in the dashboard.html file how do you see the changes reflected in your server.
I’m currently using the INDIGO theme and also I want to extend a few of the core files and not change them.
I’m using TUTOR for production and local development.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Sorry! but I’m having the same question. Did you find out how to do it?

Yes, @Veronica !!

I may not say it’s the best solution but it does the job for me.

1. Point to a local edx-platform

Mount from the volumes/ directory

tutor dev bindmount lms /openedx/edx-platform tutor
dev runserver --volume=/openedx/edx-platform lms

1. This creates a local directory of the edx platform in your local
    tutor > volumes > edx-paltform

2. Inside the edx-platform there are all the files for the edx-platform. The file which is needed to be modified is then should be overridden and copied to the Tutor > env > built > opened > themes > your theme > LMS > templates. Here you need to paste the file you copied from edx-platform so that it can be overridden and then modified. Make sure that everyfile you modify, have exactly the same folder structure as in the edx-platform repo,

3. you again have to built opened docker image
    tutor images build opened-dev

4. Your changes can be reflected and can be seen.

PS: Every time you make some changes in the same file you don’t have to create the image( point 4 ), you just have saved the file and reload the page, But If you are overriding any new file to the theme you have to build the image.

Thank you, @nik1906 <3

Sorry to bother you, but I’m having problems pointing to the local platform since I pulled the image from my docker hub. I don’t know if you could specify this part a bit more.

Again, I appreciate your help, thanks!!

@Veronica
were you able to find the edx-platform directory in your local ??
it should be inside your tutor directory > volumes > openedx > edx-platform

please refer to the docs! I think they have explained it quite well
Open edX development — Tutor documentation.

The best solutions now. You can buy tutor-mfc for development.

Hi @nik1906/@Tommy,

I am using windows os and I have ubuntu cli to connect to remote tutor ec2 instance. So how can I modify any files and run dev server in my windows local ? Also I was unable tutor-mfc anywhere. Can you share a link/documentation which I can refer to.

Thanks,
Santosh Divate