Few Containers are not starting

Hi, I ran the command tutor local quickstart.
All the containers are running except the *-permissions container.
Updated the Redis configs with the below command:

tutor config save --set RUN_REDIS=false \
                            --set REDIS_HOST="<rds-primary-endpoint-url>" \
                            --set REDIS_PORT=6379 \
                            --set OPENEDX_CELERY_REDIS_DB=2 \
                            --set OPENEDX_CACHE_REDIS_DB=2

All those containers logs contain show:

$ tutor local logs lms-permissions
docker-compose -f /home/ubuntu/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/ubuntu/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml -f /home/ubuntu/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.tmp.yml --project-name tutor_local logs lms-permissions
Attaching to tutor_local_lms-permissions_1
lms-permissions_1            | /openedx/data already owned by 1000
lms-permissions_1            | /openedx/media already owned by 1000
lms-permissions_1            | /openedx/data already owned by 1000
lms-permissions_1            | /openedx/media already owned by 1000

Im using the same endpoint URL for other Django applications and they seem to be working fine.
I have created a new ec2 instance in which I have set up tutor(manually). It runs on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

1 Like

Removed configs related to Redis and ran local quickstart, the issue still seems to be present.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature! :grimacing:

These containers run at the startup of the application to grant permission to the directories inside the env/data folder, this data folder is where the docker volumes are mounted.

They work like a Job in Kubernetes, but docker-compose doesn’t have a similar job feature, so these containers start, grant the permissions, and exit.

If you open the Docker GUI on your desktop and start with tutor local quickstart, you can see these containers start and exit, but with any error message.

Take a look at the code: here

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying it @erickhgm :grinning:

I was quite confused to see all the things working fine :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.