Enable coupons on Tutor Ecommerce

I have paid professional courses working in my deployment of Tutor with paypal configured as the payment source.

I have logged into ‘ecommerce.mysite.com’ and created an enrollment coupon. If I attempt to use the URLs generated for coupon it takes me to a site that has the Ecommerce site header and then nothing else. Additionally, if I explore and go to enroll in a paid course in the LMS, there is no location for me to enter an enrollment or coupon code prior to checkout. I thought maybe I enter the code on paypal or after checkout and there was never a location to provide such a code.

I am posting here because I am not sure if this is an EDX issue or Tutor issue. Following the Open EDX documentation it seems there should be a location to place the code before going to Paypal.
https://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-installing-configuring-and-running/en/latest/ecommerce/create_products/create_coupons.html#create-and-manage-coupons

Has anyone gotten coupons working on Tutor or is there possibly an Open Edx issue?

Check out this topic over at Open edX: https://discuss.openedx.org/t/recent-version-of-ecommerce/937

Also, it’s impossible to give you any pointers without knowing more about your deployment. And what does the ecommerce logs say when you try to access the coupon?

I tried the URL for coupons and monitored the ecommerce logs and it never reported anything related to the coupon, error warn or info level. It really seems like something just isn’t enabled in configuration somewhere.

As for my deployment, its just a standard Tutor deployment of Open EDX, latest version (i think 3.8), with the ecommerce and discovery plugin.

I thought maybe my custom theme was to blame for the lack of coupon code on checkout page. Disabling my theme though there were no changes to the checkout page.

Hey @sbrewer,
I am not aware of any configuration setting that would be required to setup coupons on ecommerce. As far as I understand, coupons should work out of the box, though I must admit I did not try it out myself. I’ll run some experiments and see if I can get it to work.

@regis Did you have a chance to test if coupons are working on base configuration of Tutor to your experience? This can help my troubleshooting as I know if its something wrong with my implementation or if its something limited by platform I should dig into and suggest a fix for.

Thank You for the Assistance

We did not find the time to try out ecommerce coupons, yet. I’m currently pretty busy with the Juniper upgrade, the LTS release and submitting a talk to the Open edX conference.

Any updates on this?

I create a coupon, then open the link and nothing happens, I only see the next in the logs

ecommerce_1         | 2020-05-26 18:08:29,705 WARNING 10 [edx_rest_framework_extensions.auth.jwt.middleware] /openedx/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_rest_framework_extensions/auth/jwt/middleware.py:62 - The view VoucherViewSet allows Jwt Authentication but needs to include the NotJwtRestrictedApplication permission class (adding it for you)
    ecommerce_1         | 2020-05-26 18:08:29,706 DEBUG 10 [edx_rest_framework_extensions.permissions] /openedx/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_rest_framework_extensions/permissions.py:57 - Permission JwtRestrictedApplication: returns False.
    ecommerce_1         | 2020-05-26 18:08:29,857 ERROR 10 [ecommerce.extensions.api.v2.views.vouchers] /openedx/ecommerce/ecommerce/extensions/api/v2/views/vouchers.py:84 - Could not connect to Discovery Service.
    ecommerce_1         | 2020-05-26 18:09:27,630 DEBUG 10 [edx_rest_framework_extensions.permissions] /openedx/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_rest_framework_extensions/permissions.py:57 - Permission JwtRestrictedApplication: returns False.

I’ve quickly played with creating coupons in Juniper, and I believe it will work. There were connection issues between ecommerce and discovery which will be resolved in v10.0.0.

I’m using the version 10.0.2 tho