edX Sponsorship demos -- Looking for ideas!

Dear Tutor users,

EdX just made an announcement on the official Open edX forums: they are looking for projects initiated by the community which might need funding to get off the ground.

Thus, I am reaching out to you to figure out what we want to build: what do you need most to improve your Open edX experience? Don’t be afraid, ask for the moon! :rocket: :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

If many people are interested in the same thing, I can use this support to pitch it to edX, and eventually design it.

Here is my personal vision about what the community needs most:

• :snake: An online course about Open edX development aimed at Python developers who are just getting their feet wet in the vast and scary Open edX world.
  • :gear: A technical solution to easily integrate content from a self-hosted H5P library, to enrich the Open edX experience.
  • :zap: A fully editable Jupyter notebook for interactive programming learning.

What do you think?

3 Likes

These are all great ideas Regis!

I love the H5P idea, but I’m worried that Joubel (the company behind) will somehow close the door on features that we would need to get value from this (e.g. a grader). I saw something mentioning that even the “embed” function might disappear from self hosted solutions.

Jupyter notebook is also high up there for us and we’ve been looking into the xblocks for the viewer and grader.

I’d really like to see something like GitPod with grading options.

EDIT: I also would like to see micro-credentials functionality - something like Badgr.

I’d like to add to that list:

• tutorial/guide on how to setup openedx using tutor for different environments, for example using GitLab. Use case: If I make a change to the platform how do I automatically create a new image and use it in a live environment? If I change a theme how do I deploy that change in different environments?

That one is regarding tutor+openedx, speaking about openedx I’d like more information of the available APIs, I believe that this is a work in progress, but if the api is really well defined and documented (with examples), it may open a lot of opportunities.

2 Likes

Wow! In my case, I would like to learn the best practices when hosting Open EDX. I know that with a Cluster KUBERNETES that psoea hba is a good idea, but it is quite complicated, at least for me who am just starting with KUBERNETES and cloud. I think it is an important point since the Open EDX platform targets MOOCs and well, being able to provide a highly available, secure, scalable and low cost hosting is quite a challenge. I also read about serverless KUBERNETES, with FARGATE from aws, another challenge that promises a lot. Thank you! A simple guide, tutor style, I think it would be more than enough to start.

Greetings to all !!