Course discovery on amazon image is not installing

The course discovery API is not responding. `
I got this error when I try to enable it with local quickstart on amazon EC2 instance,
> Pulling discovery-assets (localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10)…
> ERROR: manifest for localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10 not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

THanks

Hi @josoga2! This is a quirk of the AWS AMI… The people from AWS insisted that all docker images should reside in a local docker registry on the EC2 server. Unfortunately, newer images and images coming from plugins are not stored on the server at launch, so you either have to pull them from docker.io or build them yourself. You have a choice between:

Keep using the local docker registry and build the images yourself:

tutor plugins enable discovery
tutor config save
tutor images build all

Or stop using the local registry altogether:

tutor plugins enable discovery
tutor config save --unset DOCKER_REGISTRY

I have a slight preference for the first option, as you remain in control of your entire platform, but it means you require more cpu/ram.

1 Like

Thanks, Please can you suggest an EC2 instance that is suitable. My t3a.xlarge instance (currently my biggest seems unable to pull completely).

Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /usr/share/man/man3/Git::I18N.3pm.gz: no space left on device

I suggest you increase the amount of space in your EBS to at least 25Gb, and that should do it.

1 Like

Hi @regis . I tried the first set of commands but unfortunately the same error message comes even after that. Then I tried second set which also couldn’t help me ( by the way I’m not a tech guy ).

the error still persists with both commands. Is there a way to reconfigure discovery and ecommerce to work just like notes

Are you still getting the “no space left on device error”? If yes, are you quite sure you properly extended your EBS volume? Here are the official instructions on how to do it: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/recognize-expanded-volume-linux.html

No, this error. I overcame the storage space error by increasing it.

> Pulling discovery-assets (localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10)…
> > ERROR: manifest for localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10 not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

This error will be solved by running tutor images build discovery.

@regis

I also got the same error

ERROR: manifest for localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.12 not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

Tried

tutor images build discovery 

as you have mentioned.
same error comes again.

Yes, error persists. I think it might be due to some file naming inconsistencies, I still unable to figure it out

when I tried to push back to docker repo:

Pushing image localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10
docker push localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery:0.1.10
The push refers to repository [localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery]
An image does not exist locally with the tag: localhost:5000/overhangio/openedx-discovery

Right, this is a bug in the discovery plugin. To circumvent it, I propose you build the image manually:

docker build -t $(tutor config printvalue DOCKER_REGISTRY)$(tutor config printvalue DISCOVERY_DOCKER_IMAGE) $(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/discovery/build/discovery
1 Like

How can I do this, I am using the webui listening to port 3737, and it is built in to respond to only tutor commands

You should ssh to the server. If this is not possible, you should get rid of the local docker registry entirely (which is a PITA anyway): tutor config save --unset DOCKER_REGISTRY

Yes, ssh is better. One more error (permit my excesses today)

after running command

docker build -t $(tutor config printvalue DOCKER_REGISTRY)$(tutor config printvalue DISCOVERY_DOCKER_IMAGE) $(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/discovery/build/discovery

I got
Error: Missing configuration value: DISCOVERY_DOCKER_IMAGE

Remember to change to the tutor user before running any command: sudo su tutor.

Yes, it’s working, can you kindly reproduce the code to build ecommerce, minio and xqueue, or probably a documentation link

Thanks

docker build -t $(tutor config printvalue DOCKER_REGISTRY)$(tutor config printvalue ECOMMERCE_DOCKER_IMAGE) $(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/ecommerce/build/ecommerce
docker build -t $(tutor config printvalue DOCKER_REGISTRY)$(tutor config printvalue ECOMMERCE_WORKER_DOCKER_IMAGE) $(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/ecommerce/build/ecommerce_worker
docker build -t $(tutor config printvalue DOCKER_REGISTRY)$(tutor config printvalue XQUEUE_DOCKER_IMAGE) $(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/xqueue/build/xqueue

MinIO should work out of the box. It’s not necessary to document this further, as this will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Thanks @regis. We will kindly await updates.