'Could not create directory for saving email messages: /edx/src/ace_messages'

Hi. When trying to register a new user, I get the following error in the log console:

'Could not create directory for saving email messages: %s (%s)' % (self.file_path, err)
lms_1             | ImproperlyConfigured: Could not create directory for saving email messages: /edx/src/ace_messages ([Errno 13] Permission denied: '/edx')

I tried to create the /edx directory in the tutor root directory as followed:

sudo mkdir $(tutor config printroot)/edx && sudo chown -R user:user $(tutor config printroot)/edx

But the error still persists. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Hi @PavlosIsaris,

I do faced similar issue. what I got from @regis is this will not work in development mode where athe particular path will not be having the necessary permission to create or access it. But it will works fine in production mode(using tutor local start)

Regards,
VS

1 Like

@vsvvssrao thanks for you reply. I does indeed work in production, but that is not a sufficient solution, of course.
A developer may need to test the email functionality (or another functionality that is chained to the email sending) in dev mode.
That’s why I opened another thread, to trigger any other ideas other that “it works in production”.

@PavlosIsaris,

You can build the image and run in local and check.

Regards,
VS

@PavlosIsaris As @vsvvssrao mentioned, this issue was described here: Forgot password/reset password not working
An issue was opened in the Tutor repository: https://github.com/overhangio/tutor/issues/315
This is low-priority for me, but it will get fixed, eventually. Either I’ll make an upstream pull request, or I’ll simply add the /edx folder to the docker image (ugly but it works).

2 Likes