Catalog visibility in Tutor deployed Open edX

There is. You need to override the value in the Python settings, as described above.

Hi

I’ve been look at this for myself for the last couple of days and it looks like what is happening is that when the tutor config save command is run that it merges the changes with a default dictionary which includes the

lines

“ENABLE_COURSE_DISCOVERY”: true,
“ENABLE_COURSEWARE_SEARCH”: true,
“ENABLE_CSMH_EXTENDED”: false,
“ENABLE_DASHBOARD_SEARCH”: true,

With these being outside the region that would contain the patch for lms-env features

even changing the lms.env.json file directly is overwritten when the tutor env is generated.

at this point while I don’t doubt the logic @regis I am not seeing the behaviour that I would expect from that logic.

Any ideas?? Short of creating a pr and changing those lines to be something line

“ENABLE_COURSE_DISCOVERY”: "{{ COURSE_DISCOVERY }}

and setting a new true or false value for course discovery in the config.yml file

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. It works fine while you don’t enable discovery plugin. This plugin will overwrite ENABLE_COURSE_DISCOVERY to True

UPDATE: It turned out that in terms of Open Edx Course Catalog is the index page of the platform available only for not logged in users. Thereby Course Visibility In Catalog advanced setting affecting only this page. Page /courses is the list of all courses user could enrol. To hide the course from this list course admin must set enrolment start and enrolment end dates to the dates in the past.

In case you don’t want to create plugins or have no idea how to create plugin.
Just follow these steps:

• nano "$(tutor config printroot)/env/apps/openedx/config/lms.env.json"
  • Update value of ENABLE_COURSE_DISCOVERY: false (Originally it’s true)
  • tutor local restart (To take effect)

Thank me later…

This is NOT a good idea. Read this for more information: Concepts — Tutor documentation

And in particular:

Because the Tutor environment is generated entirely from the values in config.yml, you can rm -rf the env/ folder at any time and re-create it with tutor config save. Another consequence is that any manual change made to a file in env/ will be overwritten by tutor config save commands. Consider yourself warned!