🌋 Tutor v3.6.0 and a couple AWESOME plugins!

It is with great pleasure that I would like to announce the v3.6.0 release of Tutor! This release is quite special to us: in addition to the few bug fixes and features added since v3.5.3, we also announce the release of three major open source plugins. These plugins were developed to answer the biggest feature requests from our users, so this is great news for the community. Actually, scratch that, it’s nothing short of amazing :fireworks: !!!

This work was made possible thanks to the support of Guangzhou Elite EdTech “E-ducation”, a leading provider of learning platforms in China. They sponsored the development of these plugins and took the courageous decision to open source the result. From the bottom of my heart, thank you! :heart: You rock!

Without further ado, here is the list of new plugins:

• :chart_with_upwards_trend:Figures: this plugin integrates the fantastic analytics application developed by Appsembler that allows course staff members to visualize engagement statistics from their courses. Kind of like edX Insights, but more streamlined. Try it! it’s really cool. Kudos to John Baldwin for your great work :slight_smile:

• :mag_right: Discovery: edX has developed Course Discovery, an application that exposes the course catalog as an API. In itself, this app does not do much, but it allows the integration of external applications, such as a course search frontend or…

• :money_with_wings: Ecommerce: thanks to this plugin, you can start selling courses and products on your Tutor-powered Open edX platform today! Previously, it was quite difficult to deploy and configure Ecommerce. Now that we can install this app in a few clicks, this opens up many new possibilities for the community.

And here is the changelog listing additional features and bug fixes from the Tutor main repository.

Please let us know what you think!

5 Likes

What a great new ! Thank you very much to you, RĂ©gis, and to E-ducation team !!!

I just tried to install Figures on my new 3.6.0 instance but I get this error on first step :confused:

pip install tutor-figures
Collecting tutor-figures
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tutor-figures (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for tutor-figures

Any idea why ?

Hi @lmeinert! What is the output of “python --version”? Figures can only be installed with python 3.

Here is what I get :

root@vmi271767:~# python --version
Python 3.7.4
root@vmi271767:~# pip install tutor-figures
Collecting tutor-figures
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tutor-figures (from versions: )
root@vmi271767:~# pip3 install tutor-figures
Requirement already satisfied: tutor-figures in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages

This is strange. You seem to be running python v3.7.4 but tutor-figures was installed for python 3.6 (in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages). Also, tutor-figures should be available for both python 3.7 and 3.6.

What is the output of pip --version?

To clarify this situation, you should probably run everything from a virtual environment. In a nutshell:

python3 -m venv ~/tutor
source ~/tutor/bin/activate
pip install tutor-figures

Thank you for your help.
Here is what I get :

root@vmi271767:~# pip3 install tutor-figures
Requirement already satisfied: tutor-figures in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages
root@vmi271767:~# pip install tutor-figures
Collecting tutor-figures
root@vmi271767:~# pip --version
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (python 2.7)
root@vmi271767:~# python3 -m venv ~/tutor
root@vmi271767:~# source ~/tutor/bin/activate
(tutor) root@vmi271767:~# pip install tutor-figures
Requirement already satisfied: tutor-figures in ./tutor/lib/python3.6/site-packages
(tutor) root@vmi271767:~# pip3 install tutor-figures
Requirement already satisfied: tutor-figures in ./tutor/lib/python3.6/site-packages
(tutor) root@vmi271767:~# pip3 install tutor-figures

According to this last command, the figures plugin should work. Can you enable it?