Translate tutor in other language

Thank you. You are doing a great job with tutor and forum. But firstly I have to update to last version to get te translation no? Like you said in the previous comments:

However, the next Open edX release (Koa) is scheduled for next week, so I don’t want to push new languages to the Juniper branch. Is it ok if the language is only available in Koa

Yes, if you upgrade to the latest release (v11.0.2) you will get the new translations automatically.

I am receiving an error when I am trying to upgrade from ironwood to Koa. I just run tutor local upgrade --from=ironwood but it seems that doesn’t work

Later edit: it’s down. I think I need to reinstall tutor again

You should never have to re-install tutor. This is a weird habit. Instead, just run tutor local quickstart and see what happens.

1 Like

Thank you. It works perfectly. You saved me from a lot of pain. Every time I had a similar issue I have reinstalled the platform. I will run upgrade again

I am facing the same error again at upgrade

tutor local upgrade --from=ironwood                                  
 You are about to upgrade your Open edX platform. It is strongly recommended to make a backup before upgrading. To do so, run:

tutor local stop
    sudo rsync -avr "$(tutor config printroot)"/ /tmp/tutor-backup/

In case of problem, to restore your backup you will then have to run: sudo rsync -avr /tmp/tutor-backup/ "$(tutor config printroot)"/

Are you sure you want to continue? [Y/n] y
=======================================
        Upgrading from Ironwood
=======================================
Environment generated in /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env
==============================================
        Stopping any existing platform
==============================================
docker-compose -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml --project-name tutor_local stop
Stopping tutor_local_cms-worker_1    ... done
Stopping tutor_local_nginx_1         ... done
Stopping tutor_local_cms_1           ... done
Stopping tutor_local_lms-worker_1    ... done
Stopping tutor_local_lms_1           ... done
Stopping tutor_local_forum_1         ... done
Stopping tutor_local_mongodb_1       ... done
Stopping tutor_local_mysql_1         ... done
Stopping tutor_local_elasticsearch_1 ... done
Stopping tutor_local_smtp_1          ... done
Stopping tutor_local_memcached_1     ... done
Stopping tutor_local_rabbitmq_1      ... done
===================================================
        Upgrading MongoDb from v3.2 to v3.4
===================================================
Environment generated in /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env
docker-compose -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml --project-name tutor_local up --remove-orphans -d mongodb
Recreating tutor_local_mongodb_1 ... done
docker-compose -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml --project-name tutor_local exec mongodb mongo --eval db.adminCommand({ setFeatureCompatibilityVersion: "3.4" })
MongoDB shell version v3.4.24
Error: Command failed with status 137: docker-compose -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/edx/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml --project-name tutor_local exec mongodb mongo --eval db.adminCommand({ setFeatureCompatibilityVersion: "3.4" })

`
This solutions didn’t help me:
https://docs.tutor.overhang.io/troubleshooting.html#running-migrations-killed-command-failed-with-status-137-docker-compose

Just run tutor local quickstart and do not run tutor local upgrade. Then check the logs from the mongodb and the mysql containers. They will indicate whether you need to manually upgrade your databases.

Where I can see this logs?

Please check the docs: https://docs.tutor.overhang.io/troubleshooting.html

You should run:

tutor local logs -f mysql mongodb

There are too many things in log I do not know at what should I have to look. It’s so big that I didn’t have permission to paste here

Hey @regis can you give me a solution to this. I want to get the translation and I am a little pressed by time

Run tutor local quickstart. Is everything working fine? If yes you’re done. If not, what problem are you facing?

Everything works fine after quickstart, I didn’t know that after this is upgraded to Koa
But I did not see the romanian language folder on open edx locale https://github.com/openedx/openedx-i18n/tree/master/edx-platform/locale

Later edit: the version is 10.5.1
Capture

And also I have pulled the image but I did not see the translations https://hub.docker.com/r/overhangio/openedx/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated

I understand now what have tried to say with manually upgrade. I was doing the upgrade in the wrong way. tutor install and quickstart was enough, now I have the last version. Thank you @regis and sorry for trouble

I guess the translation are pulled automatically. There are still many strings that there are not translated, but I will search and translate them on transifex and after that I guess I need to contact you for update the docker image.

Thank you again

Hello @regis I pull the docker image, some of strings are translated but a lot of them are still untranslated, the majority in fact. Here is the platform https://elevi.didactiv.org/ I search on transifex, the word “Register” for example is translated but in platform is still displayed in English. Do you think what is going wrong?

@adrian Indeed, it looks like the “Register” string is present in Transifex, but not in the openedx-i18n files:

This might be caused by the fact that some strings were not reviewed at the time they were pulled in the openedx-i18n repo. Getting the new strings should be as simple as running make all and then pushing the changes. I’ll then retag the repo and you’ll have to re-build the openedx image from scratch with Tutor:

tutor images build --no-cache openedx

Turns out, the problem is more complex than I initially thought. It looks like the django.po translation file is not generated for some languages (including Romanian) because of some missing files, such as edx_proctoring_proctortrack.po – which in turns are not downloaded because they do not reach the minimum required translation percentage threshold. Unfortunately I do not have time to investigate further today. I’ll have another look at this next time a minor release (Koa.2) comes out.

Ok, thank you for investigation. We want to go live with the platform sooner. Can you estimate when next minor release will come?

I believe we should release koa.2 on February 9th.

Hello @regis. Koa.2 release is available now? If so, could you please investigate our problem with the translation?