Running an edx-platform fork from a local repository

Is it possible to build a custom openedx image from a local copy of a modified edx-platform?

I.e. I tried:

tutor images build openedx --build-arg EDX_PLATFORM_REPOSITORY=/home/tutor/edx-platform --build-arg EDX_PLATFORM_VERSION=open-release/lilac.3

But it didn’t seem to like EDX_PLATFORM_REPOSITORY being a local checked out repository instead of a remote one…

Also, I noticed in the documentation here that it says “Do not try to run a fork from an older (pre-Maple) version of edx-platform: this will simply not work.”. Does this mean it’s not possible to run a fork with Lilac? I see other people having successfully run forks with Juniper, so maybe that’s just a recommendation under the assumption someone is on the latest tutor (which I’m not)?

Take a look at the Dockerfile to see how the openedx image is being created.

You can see how the git clone command runs and how the variables EDX_PLATFORM_REPOSITORY and EDX_PLATFORM_VERSION are used.

This refers to the building process being designed specifically for that version.
You can check the history for this file to find the Tutor version that matches your edx-platform version.

You should also be careful about these patch lines in the Dockerfile if you are working from an edx-platform fork since the build will fail it cannot apply the cherry-pick.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.